Sunday, March 23, 2014

"Quotes"

Quotes are important to literature. They help us remember what was written or said before. I think quotes are very important to us in our society. People rely on them in many ways. I use quotes in two ways. One way is for motivation, my favorite one right now is one by Gandhi.

" You must be the change you wish to see the world."-Gandhi

I love this quote it inspires me to "change the world." On some days it is my motivation. This is a very known quote by Gandhi. I think this is the most meaningful was to use quotes. There are different types of motivational quotes. There are ones that are just for motivation, also for joy like a funny quote. There are also motivational quotes for remembering.  I have one that I use from my story. I write it on a note card and stuck it on my desk.

" I just wanted to be a tree."-Ethel

This quote is taken from the story I am writing. In this chapter my character Ethel is young and has pretended to be a tree, and her Mother beats her for it. I use this quote to make me remember to write in my story. I love this quote from my story because it shows the imaginative nature of Ethel. I love using quotes they are beneficial to me. These quotes I have shown are more sentimental, but there are other ways to use quotes. One way is for evidence. You use this a lot in essays. When you read a passage and are asked to do an essay or short answer you have to use evidence for the passage. This is effective because you are giving your claim and it is not strong without evidence. Quotes are used in many ways and they strengthen who we are as people and as a community. 



Here are some great quotes about writing!!!

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” 
― Maya Angelou
“No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” 
― Robert Frost
“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.” 
― 
Anaïs Nin
“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.”
― 
Winston Churchill
“A word after a word after a word is power.” 
― 
Margaret Atwood
“Write what should not be forgotten.” 
― 
Isabel Allende
“You always get more respect when you don't have a happy ending.” 
― 
Julia Quinn
“I hate writing, I love having written.” 
― 
Dorothy Parker
“You can fix anything but a blank page.” 
― 
Nora Roberts
“Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book. If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for.” 
― 
Alice Walker
“A good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends.” 
― 
Friedrich Nietzsche
“some moments are nice, some are
nicer, some are even worth
writing
about.” 
― 
Charles Bukowski
“The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes. ” 
― 
Agatha Christie
“You are what you write.” 
― 
Helvy Tiana Rosa
“If I do not write to empty my mind, I go mad.” 
― 
George Gordon Byron
“There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair.” 
― 
Haruki Murakami
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.” 
― 
Stephen King
“I never exactly made a book. It's rather like taking dictation. I was given things to say. ” 
― 
C.S. Lewis
“My bursting heart must find vent at my pen.” 
― 
Abigail Adams
“That's all we have, finally, the words, and they had better be the right ones.” 
― 
Raymond Carver

1 comment:

  1. Finding the time to read and write is just like finding the time for one's self.-Aidyn Stevens

    ReplyDelete