Friday, March 7, 2014

Let's talk about Goodreads.

I have had Goodreads for a while now and I thought it was time for me to share my thoughts about them. If you don't know Goodreads is a social media site for readers. You can search books, review them, rate them, post what you are reading, what you want to read, join book groups, make "friends," and much more. Right know Goodreads has about 20 million users, only about 2% of the number of Facebook users. Goodreads is big but not huge. I would never thought that social media and books would mix, but this is the 21 century. So when social media and books interbred it created this Goodreads. I used to be into Goodreads, but my attention span was short for this.  Once they took away the free ebooks I lost interest. I want to read while I am posting about I what I am reading!!!!!!! Don't you understand!!!!!! Darn you Goodreads, taking away my free ebooks! :) Well they did take away the ebooks but they still give you suggestions on books to read. I have read none of my suggestions. Sad huh. I would think that the point of Goodreads is to make you want to read more. If that is true it is not working. I want to read more, but not because of Goodreads. I think it is because of the social media aspect. there are alway annoying people in social media. Some people who review books don't know what they are saying. I just finished To Kill A Mocking Bird and I was about to rate it when I saw this person. I will leave the person unnamed.

"I could give this no stars, I would. This is possibly one of my least favorite books in the world, one that I would happily take off of the shelves and stow in dark corners where no one would ever have to read it again... The characters are one dimensional...(characters) have no identity outside these roles... there is none of the delightfully subversive slyness that real children have, the sneakiness that will ultimately allow them to grow up." 

This person goes on and on about the failure this book is. Books don't win the Pulitzer prize because of one-dimensional characters. I acknowledge this persons opinion, but I do not agree. I believe I will always keep Goodreads, but I also believe that it is nice to just read a book and un-plug ( then you can re-plug.)

The New York Times has a great article about Goodreads, click here to view it.
I am on Goodreads so friend me and follow me, I will try to make myself more visible
.

1 comment:

  1. Even though I did complain about Goodreads I do suggest that you get Goodreads. You can "meet your next favorite book."

    ReplyDelete