Monday, April 21, 2014

Character Develpment

I love this saying, I always have this in my head when I am writing. " Now you are your character."
What this is saying is when you are writing you have to become your character, to understand the your character. Know his/her life story, likes, dis-likes, everything.You have to know every little part of this person. Know every little (non- existent) gene that this character has. But that cant happen right away, making a character. I thought this picture would show you kind of what you do. With writing you start the very general sketch of our character. Then you get more and more detailed until you know the character as well as yourself. When you have your idea you want to get it on paper as fast as you can. No matter the flaws you just want to catch the idea. Then you focus on your character. Who is this person. I always like to start with a struggle. What is the main struggle of this character. What I am going to do here is make up a new character to show an example. So my character is, Blythe her main struggle is with autism. She is 18 years old, single child, very smart and wants to get a business degree but the problem is people. So here is my very first sketch like the one at the top of the picture very vague. I got her struggle and some facts about her you only really know her from a profile online. This is a very good start. Here is a better sketch. So my character is Blythe her main struggle is with autism. It had effected her, her whole life. She is 18 and in her senior year of high school. Blythe is looking at collages. She is a single child with two working parents all her life she has wanted a sibling but her parents were to busy to raise another child. She is very smart she was excepted into the running start program at her school and has been going to community collage since she was a junior. Blythe wants to go into business but she is not good with people and is thought of a "weird." This is also good now you have to incorporate this into your story. Like do a scene on her looking for collages. The next step is to do research learn more about autism, talk to people get information. Then you can go to the next step of development. The final one is making every little detail right. You get to the first thing I talked about, knowing your character like yourself.


Don't forget to comment and subscribe by email. Write and read never stop the creative juices.

1 comment:

  1. I will be posting more on character development on more specific topics. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete